LEARNZ.com.my - Turning Our Experiences to Your Expertise
Why should you Implement FMEA?
Introduction to FMEA
Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) is one of the highly structured, systematic techniques for failure analysis. It was developed by reliability engineers in the late 1950s to study problems that might arise from malfunctions of military systems.
Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) is often the first step of a system reliability study. It involves reviewing as many components, assemblies, and subsystems as possible to identify failure modes, and their causes and effects. For each component, the failure modes and their resulting effects on the rest of the system are recorded in a specific FMEA worksheet.
In general, Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) is implemented as follows:
- It provides a documented method for selecting a design with a high probability of success.
- It documents an uniform method of assessing potential failure mechanisms, failure modes and their impact on system operation, resulting in a list of failure modes ranked according to the seriousness of their system impact and likelihood of occurrence.
- Early identification of failure points and system interface problems could save organization from finacial losses.
- An effective method for evaluating the effect of proposed changes to the design and/or operational procedures on mission success and safety.
- Detect potential failure at early stage of design or in a mission critical project
Benefits of Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
Major benefits derived from a properly implemented FMEA effort are as follows:
- Improve the quality, reliability and safety of a product/process
- Improve company image and competitiveness
- Collect information to reduce future failures, capture engineering knowledge
- Reduce the potential for warranty concerns
- Early identification and elimination of potential failure modes
- Emphasize problem prevention
- Catalyst for teamwork and idea exchange between functions
- Reduce impact on company profit margin
- Improve production yield
- Maximizes profit